I choose to not participate in Black Friday. I mean, I love a sale as much as the next gal, but dragging myself out in the middle of the night to save a few dollars is not my way of spending the day after Thanksgiving.
So, of course, I stayed home and decided to bake. Well, all did not go as planned. And I thought after all the stress of traveling, cooking, eating gf, and shopping, you might enjoy a good laugh.
You see, I have a kid with an egg allergy. And although I don’t always bake egg-free, as it’s really quite a pain on top of the gluten-free, today I decided to make up a brownie mix I had been saving, and try a new egg replacement.
I am sure as you can tell from the pictures, my experiment was an utter failure and my oven paid the price. The brownies rose way too much and started to overflow the pan, in an attempt to save it, I placed a cookie sheet under the rack to catch the drips. But it was too late. As the brownie batter hit the bottom element a fire broke out. It was one hot mess. I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning my oven and the pan. I think the whole disaster was a result of too much baking powder, but I am not quite sure.
I guess not every baking adventure can be easy…or delicious…or even tidy. But it is what it is. And I hope next time your time in the kitchen results in disaster, you’ll remember we all have those days too. It is what self-cleaning ovens and a fire extinguisher are for.