- 1 chocolate crispy rice crust
- 1/4 cup chocolate sauce
- 4 cups softened vanilla ice cream, divided
- 4 cups softened chocolate ice cream, divided
Crispy Chocolate Ice Cream Pie Directions:
We really like the Chocolate Crispy Rice crust, but any chocolate crust would work for this pie.
- Butter a 9-inch pie plate
- Spread half of the vanilla ice cream over the crust. Pour the 1/4 cup chocolate sauce evenly over the vanilla ice cream. Top with half of the chocolate ice cream and spread evenly. Top with alternating scoops of vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Cover gently with plastic wrap and return to freezer until serving. Serve with additional chocolate syrup if desired.
I found this recipe in The Costco Connection; a magazine of sorts that Costco sends out to members to advertise upcoming products and of course entice us to make purchases. This recipe is from the cookbook A decade of Cooking the Costco Way. In case you were wondering, I didn’t run out and buy the book, but I did clip this recipe and boy am I glad I did.
I initially made the pie to take to a family gathering, thinking it would be the kids’ dessert. However, the adults were just as eager to try it. In fact, I didn’t even get a chance to get a photo, so I decided to make another one. My family did not complain. Typically I don’t make a pie unless we are having company, because its just too much, but this pie is actually convenient, because leftovers can be stowed away in the freezer for another day.
This dessert not only looks and tastes delicious, but it’s super inexpensive and easy to prepare. In fact it’s so easy the kids could probably make this with little or no assistance, depending on age.
Perhaps best of all, ice cream pie is one of those gluten-free desserts that doesn’t scream weird, gluten-free dessert. Okay, so I realize desserts can’t talk, but we’ve all seen those strange, gluten-free or allergy-friendly foods that nobody wants to try. Well, this ice cream pie isn’t one of those.
We have lots of food allergies in our family, so I kept the ice cream flavors simple, but I really think some peanut butter, caramel, or even nuts would great additions. Personally, I think the crust really makes the pie. It’s no-bake, and with only three ingredients (two being chocolate), it’s extremely easy to prepare.