- 2 pounds clean, scrubbed red potatoes
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 4 green onions, chopped (white & light green parts)
- 2 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 dill pickles, chopped
- about 1 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
Red Potato Salad Directions:
I state about 1 cup of mayo because honestly I don’t measure it precisely.
- In a large pot add potatoes and eggs and cover with tap water and add a dash of salt. Cook over medium-high heat until potatoes are tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until cooked and evenly browned (you want crisp, but not burnt bacon). Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- Peel and chop the cooled eggs.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, bacon, onion, celery and pickle. Add mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Chill for an hour before serving.
I already have a wonderful Bacon Potato Salad posted, and you might be asking yourself how many potato salad recipes does one person need? I’ve asked myself the same question, and I have yet to come up with an answer.
I have tried numerous recipes for potato salad and there are a few things I have realized. First, red potatoes work the best in my opinion; they hold up well and have great flavor and texture, not to mention you can leave the skins on. Also, potato salad doesn’t need a “secret” ingredient. Just the basic stuff works the best. And lastly, potato salad tastes better after a good chill in the refrigerator, overnight is best to really blend the flavors.