I am not recommending frying foods on a regular basis, but on occasion they make a wonderful treat. Fried chicken, onion rings, and mozzarella sticks…seriously good food.
Fried Mozzarella Sticks are a family favorite at my house. I can’t say I make them on a regular basis, but I have made them more times than I care to admit.
After several attempts, I found what we think are great-tasting gluten free Fried Mozzarella Sticks. I really like to use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Biscuit and Baking Mix; since it already has baking powder and xanthan gum in it, it saves that extra step.
For the bread crumbs I just use whatever gluten-free bread I may have had on hand. I find it easiest to pulse it in the food processor until it is fine, toast it in a preheated oven, and then give it an extra whirl in the food processor. I think this helps get the texture super fine like store-bought bread crumbs. I know gluten-free bread crumbs are available at some grocery stores, and this would obviously save you some time, but I have never tried them.
Fried Mozzarella Sticks
You’ll end up with too much breading, but I find it is much easier to have too much rather than too little
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Biscuit and Baking Mix
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg +2 TB water, whisked to combine
- 1 cup dried gluten-free bread crumbs (I season mine with Italian Seasoning)
- Place unwrapped cheese sticks in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before breading and frying; this prevents them from melting immediately when they hit the hot oil. Heat about 1-inch oil in a heavy, large saucpean to 365 (or heat an electric deep fryer).
- In 3 separate, shallow dishes you’ll need to have 1) biscuit mix and cornstarch well mixed 2) egg wash 3) seasoned bread crumbs.
- One at a time, dip the cheese sticks into the cornstarch mixture, then the egg wash, and lastly roll in the bread crumbs, pressing if necessary to adhere the crumbs to the cheese. If the breadcrumbs aren’t completely coating the cheese sticks, dip into egg wash and breadcrumbs again.
- Fry the cheese sticks, being sure not to overcrowd them, in the hot oil for about 30 seconds per side (about 1 minute in a electric deep fryer) or until golden brown. After removing from the hot oil, I place them on a cooling rack set over paper towels for a few minutes to cool and drain.