I have two kids, one who loves to be in the kitchen and one who would much rather just eat. Unfortunately for me, it is the three year old that wants to cook and the teenager that wants to eat. Life would be so much easier if the situation were reversed.
I was preparing Greek Pasta Salad, chopping away at the cutting board, with my youngest daughter teetering on a step stool, whisking the dressing ingredients. She saw me with my bowl of chopped ingredients (cheese, pepperoni, onions, and olives) heading her way and yelled “Pasta Pizza?! Are you sure about this?”
Although she was quite skeptical, we all really enjoyed this salad. It’s really flavorful, but kid-friendly as well. If you wanted to make this a little more grownup, I think adding roasted red peppers, mushrooms, or canned artichokes would do the trick.
I opted to make the dressing with half balsamic vinegar and half red wine vinegar, because I love the flavor of balsamic, but it gives the pasta a much darker hue. If you have picky eaters or serving this to company you might want to stick with lighter vinegars because it will result in a prettier salad.
I use Hormel Turkey Pepperoni because it is easy to find at the grocery store, but I know there are other gluten free pepperonis available. Like most pasta salads, this one tastes even better the next day. However, we have noticed not all gluten free pastas taste great the next day, so you may have to try a few and see what you like.
Greek Pasta Salad
Although I used dried herbs, fresh herbs would taste amazing in this!
- 1 16-oz package gf pasta cooked, rinsed, and drained (I use Goldbaum macaroni or spirals)
- 1 1 /2 cups diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 can olives, whole or sliced if desired
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup quartered or sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to evenly coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled thoroughly, about 2 hours. Top with Parmesan before serving if desired.