Eggnog. It’s the once a year treat, and it’s that time of year again. What better way to enjoy this seasonal flavor than in a dessert?
I decided to give an eggnog cake a try. Although I could probably figure out how to make one from scratch, I decided to start with a Bob’s Red Mill Vanilla cake mix, replace most of the liquid with eggnog and TADA!!! A quick, easy, and very tasty eggnog cake.
I stuck with the full-fat eggnog, which allowed me to replace all the oil and water required with the eggnog. I decided to use a couple of tablespoons of butter though for flavoring.
It is very moist and flavorful, with a nice crumb. I think there are a lot of topping/frosting option for this cake. I went with the standard chocolate frosting, but I think whipped cream, ice cream, or a rum sauce would all be great choices.
As a side note, I am not a big fan of gluten free mixes in general, but I think both the chocolate and vanilla Bob’s Red Mill gluten free cake mixes are great for bakers who want a quick dessert. And since they are classic flavors, they really allow you to get creative in the kitchen (I even turned a mix into pumpkin cake balls). And they are perfect for someone who needs to make a gluten free dessert, but doesn’t want to invest in all the gums and flours necessary.
Happy gluten free baking! And yes, I will be making eggnog cake balls next
Easy Eggnog Cake
- 1 package Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup eggnog (the full fat variety)
- 2 TB butter, melted
- 2 tsp rum flavoring
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Grease a 9×13 pan (I find that this cakes rises quite a bit in the center; it’s not a level cake. So unless you want to do a lot of trimming, I wouldn’t make a layer cake). Preheat oven to 325.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on low for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium and mix for an additional 1 1/2-2 minutes or until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and try to spread it evenly with a knife or spatula; bake 30-35 minutes or until center tests clean. Allow to cool completely on wire rack.