- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed (check labels, some contain gluten)
- 3 Tb butter, melted (bacon dripping also work wonderful here)
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham or several pieces cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar of colby-jack work really well
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Hash Brown Quiche Directions
This recipe can be modified to fit your tastes. I have used bacon, various cheeses, more peppers, no onions, etc. You could certainly add ingredients, mushrooms or olives come to mind. It always seems to taste great.
- Preheat oven to 425
- Press hash browns between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Press into bottom and up sides of an ungreased pie plate. Drizzle with butter (or bacon dripping if using). Bake at 425 for 25 minutes.
- Combine the meat, cheese, bell pepper, and onion; spoon over crust.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper until combined. Pour over cheese mixture, trying to cover evenly.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake for 25-30 minutes of until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting.
I don’t make a lot of quiches. Whenever I mention the word quiche my husbands says “real men don’t eat quiche.” I am not exactly sure why (I realize it is a title of a tongue-in-cheek book about masculinity) but I just try to avoid this predictable conversation.
Nonetheless I enjoy quiches and I think they are great for a weekend breakfast of brunch. What could be better than some eggs, cheese, and meat all on a wonderful pastry crust? Sounds like a perfect dish to me.
Making gluten free quiches sounds like a lot of work. Few people really enjoy making pie crust, throw in alternative flours and it becomes a big chore. One fabulous solution: a hash brown crust. This makes the dish heartier and eliminates the need to fuss with a pie crust.
This is a version I adapted from an old Taste of Home recipe, but I am sure many gluten free Hash Brown Quiche recipes exist. And if you have a grumpy husband that doesn’t eat quiche, just do what I do and call it a Hash Brown Breakfast Pie